Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Jillian Michaels is my new frenimy

Well I have finally done it. I started the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. Today is day 3 and I have many more days to go:) On September 1st I started doing 5 push-ups and 10 crunches, and then the next day I added one more to each set.  I added one more of each set every day until I hit 20 push-ups and 25 crunches. I did it Monday - Friday and sometimes I did it once in the morning and once at night and some days I did it on Saturday as well. After only day two of doing it I felt broken lol Jeremy just laughed at me as I crawled into bed that night. BUT it got easier and easier and I felt less sore everyday. By day 8 of doing the push-ups and crunches I felt like I wanted a bit more of a challenge and I also wanted to work other parts of my body as well. So I added squats and glute exercises which are also called the fire hydrant doggie style. ha ha They look absolutely ridiculous to do but you get a serious case of butt lock! You may laugh but you won't be laughing if you do it yourself. It hurts! So after day 8 I did the same number of reps for the push-ups and the glutes and then the same number of reps for the crunches and squats. It made it a lot easier to remember how many of each to do every day. I actually would take a little sticky note of how many of each I wanted to do and I just stuck it on the back of our couch so I could see it when I was doing my exercises. I ended up leaving it there so every day I would walk past and see it and it would remind me to do my exercises. At the end of each workout I would go to the office and cross off what I did on our calendar. I seriously feel so good taking my orange highlighter and cross off that bad boy!

Now that I feel like my body is getting somewhere I wanted to start the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I have seen lots of people do it and watched some success stories on YouTube. I love it because it is not one of those fads that you loose a ton of weight by hardly doing anything or going on some ridiculous diet that you will end up loosing all the weight and then gaining it all back if not more in the end. It is hard work but that is what it takes to get it off and to keep it off! I am only on day 3 and I can already tell that I am getting better and better. It is about 20-30 min of intense cardio and strength training. It is non stop. No breaks here people! It kinda reminds me of Zumba but a bit more hardcore:) I loved taking Zumba before I got pregnant with Kaylyn. I would go to Zumba class 1-2 a week for an hour. The month before I got pregnant I went twice a week for a month and I lost 10lbs! Yay buddy that's what I'm talking about!!! It was sooo much fun! It was definitely hard work too (depending on who was teaching the class:) I went on the days when the hard core chick was teaching.) After half an hour you felt like you were going to just pass out on the floor. But that hour went by pretty quickly. I didn't think I would like group fitness classes but all the people in the class were super nice and didn't make you feel like a dork when you had no clue what you are doing. The biggest thing that I kept telling myself  not only in class but also doing my workouts on my own in the gym, was that everyone has to start from the bottom. All those super fit people you see working out or the people that do every step in Zumba perfectly all started from the bottom. They couldn't do those things that they do now in the beginning. Instead of looking at them and thinking to myself, dude this is so out of your league you can't do what they are doing. I used them as my inspiration instead. If I was on the elliptical and someone was next to me going all hardcore it just pushed me even harder. Also watching the Biggest Loser helped a lot too:) This may sound kinda dumb but the Biggest Loser really got me started. I remember watching it in November of 2010. I had the flu and I was bored out of my tree so I was like hey why not watch it. (I know it is kinda weird to watch the Biggest Loser while you feel sick to your stomach. I don't really know what I was thinking lol) I have a bunch of clients that are always talking about it when I do their hair. Now I can be cool too and actually know what they are talking about:) So while I was watching these people I was like "seriously Andrea? If these people can do it you can definitely do it!" So every time when I was at the gym and I felt like stopping I would just remember them and keep pushing harder.

Wow that ended up a lot longer than I was planning :) Things just come into my head and my fingers just start flying away! Anyways, I hope that by posting this I will hold myself accountable and keep going. Having the visual of all the X's on my calendar really help me. I love to "see" the progress. I actually have a spreadsheet on my computer that I have been doing for the past year. Every month I would right down my weight and all my measurements so I could track my progress. Also when I went to Anytime Fitness their website had a system to track your calories that you are burning and what excercises you are dong every workout. I am a very visual learner so that really helped too. It also helps that now that I am not going to the gym anymore (because of our wee baby and of course the $ of a membership) Jeremy has been helping me a lot. He started doing the push ups and crunches with me in the beginning but that only lasted two days. lol He was really busy at work and he was pretty much working out all day so I cut him some slack. I do remind him of it from time to time just to bug him cause I love him so much:) Well hopefully my next update will be an even better one with even more progress! ( I did take before pictures. I don't think I am going to post them after the 30 days but you never know:) We will see how brave I am)

No comments:

Post a Comment